Friday, October 7, 2016

The Trouble with Time

I have been listening to an excellent audio book on my commute, Designing Your Life. The Stanford professors that wrote this book, based on a course they offer, were on NPR and it sounded very interesting. Truth be told, I would love to read it, but it just isn't going to happen with my schedule. Back to the book. The concept that grabbed me was that people tend to be on an unending search for passion and purpose. To this end, people make life decisions based on desires or false beliefs that don't pan out. This resonates with me because I decided at a young age that I wanted to be an Architect, and I pursued that until my second year of college when I had the opportunity to work in an architecture firm. Dream destroyed.

Yadda, yadda, yadda, a decade and a half later, and life is very different. I am on a path that I had never seen myself going towards. I feel now that I am doing something out of choice, and less based in passion or desire without foundation. The authors make a good point about something called "gravity problems." What the hell is that? Ok, if you are fed up with gravity because it keeps you down, makes you feel heavy, and walking up a mountain is difficult; it doesn't matter. Complaining, worrying, or wasting thoughts about it do nothing. You cannot change gravity, but at times we all try to fight "it." We have plenty of "gravity" in our lives. Most of all, I think I worry about time. Do I have enough time to do something? There is too much time left until something else happens! Time, time, time! It is something that I cannot change; but I still wish I could. Change in perspective is needed to properly adjust my actions, but I haven't achieved that state of zen yet. I will choose to be happy with just pondering on this thought for a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment